CASTEJÓN: An important railroad junction, the city has a museum dedicated to railroads. Also, the modern church of St. Francis Xavier (1944) reminds us that we are now in Navarre, the kingdom in which that Jesuit saint left a profound mark, expressed in the many churches dedicated to him. The town offers the possibility of restaurants, drugstores, clinic, supermarkets, and banks. City hall phone number: 984 844 002.
TUDELA: Capital of Ribera de Navarra, it was found in the year 802 by the Muslims and is one of the most important cities of Muslim origin on the peninsula. Worth a visit, the Cathedral (Romanesque style in transition to Gothic) was built in 1168 on the site of the principal mosque; it has recently been restored. Passing around the back of it, we will find the famous Gate of Judgment. In the Plaza de los Fueros (1687) we find the 16th-century city hall. A walk toward the Ebro River will take us to the bridge, which has its origins in the 9th century. Many historical and monumental buildings are within easy reach of the pilgrim, such as the church of St. Mary Magdalene (12th century), near the Ebro. It would be very useful to visit the tourism office (Calle del Juicio, 4 – next to the Cathedral. Tel: 948 848 058. The city has a bicycle repair shop, restaurants, pharmacies, health center, supermarkets, banks, and tourism office.
Jesuit Fathers: The parish of Our Lady of Lourdes is staffed by the Jesuit fathers, who will be happy to stamp the pilgrims’ credentials, provided they arrive during regular hours. Address: Calle de Arcos Escribano, 34. Tel: 948 820 297.