LOGROÑO: With more than 130,000 inhabitants is the capital of the Province of La Rioja. Core junction of the French Camino de Santiago (which we have been following since Navarrete) and the Camino de Santiago del Ebro (which we will follow from now on). A visit to the tourist office will provide information about all the monuments and sights we might like to visit (Edificio Escuelas Trevijano. C/Portales, 50. Tel 941 273 353). One highlight is the church of San Bartolomé (s. XII-XIII restored in the XV century) with its barrel vaulted ceiling, classic Romanesque style. The facade is Gothic and the tower is Mudejar. The church of Santa Maria del Palacio was built on the ruins of a palace donated by Alfonso VII of Castile, which is why it is called “The Imperial.” It was the first headquarters of the Order of the Holy Sepulcher in Castile. The main altarpiece is by Arnao of Brussels, a Spanish Renaissance sculptor. The Gothic church of Santa María de la Redonda is founded on the remains of a XII century Romanesque church and was proclaimed “co-cathedral” in 1959. Note Martin of Berriatúa’s twin towers in Baroque style which frame it. Logroño offers us the facilities of a bicycle shop, restaurants, pharmacies, health centers, supermarkets and banks.
Jesuit Fathers: In the parish of San Ignacio we find the Jesuits who work there and they will kindly stamp the credential provided we get in parish offices service hours. Calle Huesca, 39 (near Duke of Najera street and Plaza del Primero de Mayo). Tel: 941 203 504.